Senior Staff Accountant
Position Name: Senior Staff Accountant
Status: Full Time – Exempt
Reports to: Controller
Location: Stamford, CT
About Cohen Veterans Network:
The Cohen Veterans Network is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit foundation whose mission is to improve the quality of life for post-9/11 veterans and their families by focusing on improving mental health outcomes. The goal of the Cohen Veterans Network is to build a network outpatient mental health clinics for veterans and their families in high-need communities, in which trained clinicians deliver holistic evidence-based care to treat mental health conditions, especially post-traumatic stress.
As a Member of the Finance Team, You Will:
The Senior Accountant serves as a key member of the Finance Team and will play a key role in implementing the infrastructure and systems needed to support CVN’s strategic plan and substantial growth over the next three to five years.
Finance Responsibilities – Central Office:
- Support accounts payable activities to ensure accuracy and timeliness of invoice entries and weekly payments in check, wire or ACH.
- Process biweekly payroll for CVN Central Office.
- Review of monthly employee expense reports in Concur
- Prepare balance sheet and income statement account reconciliation including bank reconciliation statements.
- Prepares and reviews necessary month-end close journal entries.
- Assist the Controller with the preparation of monthly and annual financial statements.
- Assist the Controller with the preparation of the annual audit work papers and the IRS Form 990-PF filing.
- Assist the Controller with the preparation of the CVN Central Office budget and forecasts.
- Preparation of federal/state/local tax/solicitation filing applications and supporting documentation.
- Maintenance of CVN’s finance policy & procedures manual.
- Other work as assigned by the Vice President, Finance or Controller.
Finance Responsibilities – Military Family Clinics:
- Work with partner agencies that are funded by the CVN on all finance related items including budget preparation, monthly reporting, budget modifications and funding distributions.
- Assist the Controller with quarterly clinic audit to review actual clinic result of operations versus budget.
- Assist the Controller in maintaining and consolidation of the monthly clinic reports.
- Preparation of additional analysis and financial models as assigned by the VP, Finance or Controller.
Finance Responsibilities – Other:
- Continually evaluate finance and accounting policies and systems for efficiency and cost effectiveness.
- Ensure that all CVN Central Office finance and accounting policies and procedures are being followed.
To Succeed in This Role, You Must Embody:
- A team player, but also someone who can successfully complete tasks individually. You can consistently complete daily tasks and handle projects with minimal supervision.
- A strong ability to cope with change. You think about problems and tasks in novel, creative ways when circumstances unexpectedly change.
- An eye for detail. You notice small but important things that other people might not notice.
- An ability to adapt. You display confidence in your expertise but you also are flexible in your approach in a rapidly changing environment.
- Thirst for knowledge. You are eager to learn and stay abreast of the cutting edge developments in your field.
- Visionary view on challenges and solutions. You are willing to be a part of a small, dynamic, and innovative team while contributing your voice to all aspects of the CVN and its growth.
- Willingness to travel. You are willing and able to travel to the clinic locations 20% of the time.
When You Joining the Team, You will have the Opportunity to:
- Build relationships with a variety of people. You will constantly be working with others on projects, whether it is another individual at the CVN or an affiliate.
- Hone your communication skills. You will be one of the few connection points between every stakeholder in the recruiting process. You will develop your own style for communicating effectively, accurately relaying the feedback of others, and advocating for those who are absent from crucial conversations.
- Tracking project status and managing processes efficiently. You will grow your eye for detail and your ability to anticipate by alerting others to opportunities and potential roadblocks so processes move smoothly.