The new year can bring resolutions, healthy habits, positive changes, and reminders to take care of ourselves. Remember that love comes in all forms, whether you’re single or in a relationship. Make self-care a priority and embrace the love within through these helpful self-love tips.
- Avoid negative thought spirals. When stressed or overwhelmed, we can go on a downward path of negative thoughts. Stop the spiral by asking yourself if the thought is a fact, something you can control, and is it serving you.
- Practice daily gratitude. Write down three different things you are thankful for each day. This can help remind us there is positivity in our lives and lessen the feeling of being overwhelmed by negativity.
- Prioritize friendships and connection. Spending time with those you love improves your overall health and helps to combat loneliness. Schedule a time to meet up with a friend at least once a month.
- Speak kindly to yourself. Remember, if you wouldn’t treat a loved one or a friend unkindly, why are you treating yourself that way? Be your own best friend and speak encouraging words to yourself.
- Know you are not alone. Remember, everyone has their own internal struggles, even though you may not see them. There are many people who may also be feeling the way you do or not fully content with their situations, but don’t show it.
- Find enjoyment in the things you love (not just to meet someone). Do things you love. When you focus on what makes you happy because you enjoy it, you’ll find fulfillment in the activity. This can help prevent disappointment if one of your goals of the activity was to meet someone.
- Find the joy in being single! Being single is the only time where you can focus solely on your own desires, dreams, goals, and hobbies. Use this as an opportunity to set boundaries, work on loving yourself, and to try new things you enjoy.