We asked our CVN veteran staff members what they want civilians to know about their military service and Veterans Day. Here were their answers…
- The meaning of Veterans Day and Memorial Day: Veterans Day is about honoring the work and service all veterans have done, as well as a time for veterans to reflect on their service. Memorial Day is about honoring fallen service members who have sacrificed their lives.
- Veterans are all different. They are from all over the country and world with different backgrounds, morals, religions, and experiences. Get to know a veteran or service member by asking a few questions like: What branch are you in? What is your job? How long did you serve?
- Thank the military family too! Military family members and the support systems of active duty also make sacrifices while their loved one is serving.
- Not all veterans are soldiers. Soldiers are in the Army only. There are many different jobs across the branches. To start a conversation about their job, ask ‘what was your job while serving?’
- Women are serving too! Currently, women are serving today more than they have served in the military before. Don’t forget to include them when talking about our service members.